Tuesday, May 25, 2010

For women with PMDD-- gynecologist or psychiatrist?

I haven't been diagnosed, but my PMS symptoms have gotten progressively worse to the point of complete debilitation for several days out of the month. For women who have been diagnosed/treated, did you see a psychologist or psychiatrist first, or did you ask your gynecologist first? What was your treatment? Did it work?

Thank you!
Answer:
I'd suggest seeing your gyno first. Supposedly the Yaz birth control pill has been shown to help with PMDD. I wasn't diagnosed either, but my monthly PMS had reached critical levels. I've been on Yaz for about five months now and if I PMS, I don't even know it. Good luck!
I saw both actually, working in concert they came up with a reasonable care plan that worked for me. You just have to make sure the two of them work together.
I went into talk to my primary care doctor about quitting smoking and about PMDD. He put me on Welbutrin which has helped immensely in both areas. I'm a mother and a nanny and I noticed before my cycle I was angry and impatient for no reason. You could talk to your gyn or your primary care doctor. They will most likely put you on an antidepressant.
Complete debilitation isn't necessarily a sign of PMDD, it could be more likely endometriosis or PCOS. From what I understand, PMDD has more of a psychological impact. I took Yaz for PCOS (also recommended for PMDD) and it had HORRIBLE side effects, so be very cautious - do a LOT of research, it nearly killed me. Talk to your gyno and just tell him your symptoms, he'll know best what to do. If you suffer from debilitating pain (as I do) ask your doctor about Meclomen. It's an NSAID like Aleve or Advil but it works in an extra way. It reduces your flow - less flow means less pain.
My guess is your doc will suggest a BCP, that should help. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

vc .net